Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas from Thailand

I know that back home, Christmas has just barely kicked off. But I live in the future (13 hours ahead of Wisco, to be exact), so my holiday has already almost finished! And in case you were wondering, the temperature got up to about 87 degrees! Definitely not a white Christmas...

 The entire day has been filled with an outpouring of love, and I must admit it's been pretty great. Thailand is primarily a Buddhist country, so they do not typically celebrate Christmas. Our school has a special English program (called MEP, which simply stands for Mini English Program), though, so we got to celebrate anyway! There are two sides to our school--there is MEP, which is basically a private school that focuses on learning English; and there is the public side, that has only one English class per week. The kids on the MEP side put on a show for the non-MEP students for Christmas every year.



First, I woke up to see a bunch of pictures from people at the Courthouse Pub wishing me a merry Christmas! Even though I keep going back and leaving, they still do sweet things like this for me. I definitely felt the love! I included a few so that everyone could see.



And then I was greeted by these lovely people at work:


The Thai teachers were definitely in the holiday spirit!

Everyone was already full of Christmas cheer and happy wishes. Every morning we have an assembly, and this time two Santas showed up to join us. After the assembly, everyone got ready for the Christmas show. Each grade put on a special performance. I teach grade 4, and they performed the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas".





Our school is quite large. The entire Christmas show was performed twice during the day because all of the students could not fit into the auditorium. Here's the audience just from the morning show!
All of the important people at school kicking things off.
A chorus from grades 5 & 6 sang some Christmas tunes.
This is one of the adorable kindy classes.
Some non-MEP dancers. They were excellent!
Some grade 4 students reciting the poem.

Grade 4!



Grades 5 and 6 combined to put on a play about the Grinch. It was fantastic, and the kids absolutely loved it. It definitely put people in a Christmas mood!

Me and Gib, my TA (teaching assistant).
Jan and I, another TA at school


I LOVED her costume!
Grade 4 and I. They did a great job, and I'm so proud of them! They're a bunch of fun kids, and I'm lucky to be their teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment